Saturday, 28 August 2010

Habit is either the best of servants or the worst of masters.





Up front I simply want you to know that Buzz de Lu is not a weight loss blog.  However, in the interest of self improvement let me tell you about a little self improvement I've been quite private about.

I started a sub journey a little over a year ago, July 2009.  I joined the world wide  Weight Watchers program. I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a true convert! It works. Needless to say my journey on the program hasn't been without hiccups.


After loosing 12 pounds I stopped losing. I gained 5 back and I thought, perhaps I would just be one of those people who has no motivation, eats chips all day and, who will one day be happy as a chubby chic. Fortunately for me I had a light bulb moment: June 2010. Drum roll please....

"I need to change habits."  I could hear my own voice in the back of my head... "motivation won't take you far Lula, you gotta change your strategy"...okay my own voice was really bossy...




As my internal voice spoke (like a wise great Aunt who's never seemed to gain a pound in her 75 years) I realized that this weight loss stuff is about changing habits. It is about letting go of the old way, and prescribing to a new way.  It's about changing my thinking.  About seeing the world from a new angle. Then changing my strategy and actions to fit. 

 I grew up eating comfort food (i.e. high calorie) in big quantities. I'm not letting go of the comfort side of things, I still eat stews, and chocolate, and cake... but only sometimes - not every night, afternoon, morning break time. See my point?

Now I am changing habits, eating low calorie, filling food in less quantities. When I want something sweet I endeavor to think "what will fulfill this sweet tooth?" - instead of "CHEESECAKE!". Sometimes cheesecake is the answer, but that is very rare.   Most of the time a fig or a banana with a smidgen of peanut butter does the job.

Motivation is a great start up tool, but its not fuel, it's a battery. Habit on the other hand is fuel and it acts as the mechanism to recharge the battery too! 

Here are some great quotes about habit.

~Lu

First we form habits, then they form us. Conquer your bad habits, or they'll eventually conquer you.
~Dr. Rob Gilbert

Choose the life that is most useful, and habit will make it the most agreeable.
~Francis Bacon


No comments: